Services for You Human Services Financial Help Social Assistance

COVID-19: Oxford County follows guidance from Southwestern Public Health and the Government of Ontario. See updates on our programs and services at

Social Assistance

If you need financial assistance, there are programs you can access through Oxford County’s Human Services department and other local agencies.

Financial help may cover the cost of food, shelter, transportation and other special needs. Visit our resource room or contact your Caseworker for more information.

Ontario Works

Ontario Works helps people who are in financial need. It offers two types of assistance:

Financial assistance, including:

  • income support to help with the costs of basic needs, like food, clothing and shelter
  • health benefits for you and your family

Employment assistance to help clients find, prepare for and keep a job. This assistance may include participation in:

  • workshops on resume writing and interviewing
  • job counselling
  • job-specific training
  • access to education

See what other benefits you may be eligible for here.

Other community programs

211 Ontario. 211 offers 24-hour information and referral to community, social, non-clinical health and related government services. Dial 2-1-1 from you phone or visit to search through services online.

The The is a directory of health services by area.

Information Oxford. Information Oxford is a directory of community, health and government services in Woodstock, Ingersoll, Tillsonburg, Blandford-Blenheim, East Zorra-Tavistock, Norwich, South-West Oxford and Zorra. Every December, Information Oxford publishes a listing of holiday food bank and toy donation services.

Learning, Earning and Parenting (LEAP)

If you are a parent 25 years old or younger, you can participate in the LEAP program.

This program includes access to:

  • Support towards earning a Grade 12 diploma
  • Children’s programming and parenting workshops
  • Ontario Works Social Assistance
  • Personal support where needed
  • Help with job readiness

Visit the resource room or contact your caseworker for more information about LEAP.

Temporary care assistance

This assistance is for people who are temporarily caring for a child who is not your natural (biological) or adoptive child. A temporary care provider could be a grandparent, relative, friend, etc.


An overpayment occurs when an Ontario Works recipient receives more social assistance than they are entitled to. When this happens, the recipient must pay back this amount. 

Information will be provided detailing the amount that was overpaid, why, options for repayment and how to appeal.


If you think someone is receiving Ontario Works that they are not entitled to, you can report this as suspected fraud. If you think someone is receiving a rent or child subsidy they are not entitled to, you can report this by:

You can choose to remain anonymous when reporting suspected fraud.