November 25, 2020
Future Oxford shares progress and priorities
Future Oxford celebrates success on 94 per cent of actions set out to help improve quality of life in Oxford County
“We are all Future Oxford.”
This is the message from Future Oxford’s annual update to the community, shared through a comprehensive report card and video released at County Council. The Progress & Priorities presentation outlined Future Oxford’s success on 94 per cent of the 70 actions in the Future Oxford Community Sustainability Plan. Progress on the plan which aims to improve the quality of life for Oxford’s current and future generations was made possible, in part, thanks to over 3,500 hours of dedication by community volunteers.
Highlights from the progress report include:
- The development of the Future Oxford Legacy Fund in 2017, which has helped to support the economy by connecting local entrepreneurs, businesses and non-profit groups with access to loans or grants for sustainable projects. Since its inception, the fund which is administered by Community Futures Oxford, has awarded $500,000 in loans, $18,000 in grants to sustainable projects, and supported the creation of over 44 local jobs.
- A free Zero Waste Planning Guide and workshops to encourage and support residents, businesses and event organizers in Oxford County to host zero-waste events.
- Local Votes Matter voter engagement campaigns to help encourage residents to vote in elections for all levels of government.
- The Draft Zero Poverty Plan, which was developed in partnership with multiple community partners to create an action plan for reducing poverty within Oxford County.
- Oxford Fresh, a partnership between the Oxford County Federation of Agriculture andTourism Oxford, to help residents and visitors choose local. This is done by helping shoppers make informed decisions about where their food comes from. This approach not only puts money back into the local economy but supports a healthier environment by reducing Oxford’s carbon footprint.
- Oxford County Council’s commitment to advancing the Future Oxford Sustainability Plan through 100 per cent renewable energy. Action on this commitment includes greening its fleet and through the addition of alternative energy sources at County facilities.
Moving forward, the Future Oxford Partnership – the volunteer steering committee that guides the Future Oxford Plan’s progress – will focus on refreshing the community sustainability plan, and celebrating and recruiting volunteers in the coming year.
For more information on Future Oxford, visit futureoxford.ca. For details on how to get involved, contact email@example.com.
Sustainability is an approach to meeting the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own. It takes into account the short and long-term ecological, social, and economic consequences of our actions and emphasizes both environmental and human wellbeing as essential ends in themselves. Oxford has adopted the lens of sustainability to create an integrated and practical approach to addressing challenges, including economic and social inequities, human health, ecosystem decline, and community development.
Social media and online content
Twitter: Future Oxford
Facebook: Future Oxford
Twitter: Oxford County
Facebook: Oxford County
About Future Oxford
The Future Oxford: A Community Sustainability Plan sets out the community’s vision for how we will manage community, environmental and economic resources for Oxford County’s future growth and wellbeing. The Plan sets out 70 distinct actions to improve the quality of life for Oxford's current and future generations. For more information and to read the Future Oxford Community Sustainability Plan online, visit www.futureoxford.ca.
Jenn Austin | Strategic Communication & Engagement
519.539.9800, ext. 3505 | firstname.lastname@example.org