January 01, 2014
Official Plan Review
Oxford County is undertaking a 5-Year Review of its Official Plan. This is your chance to have a say in the policies that will help shape our communities over the next 20 years.
Oxford County's 5-Year Official Plan Review is being undertaken in the following stages:
- Formally launching the 5-Year Review at a special public meeting of County Council. This has been completed
- Identifying the policy areas that will be a focus of the review. This has been completed.
- Carrying out research and preparing necessary background studies. This is underway.
- Consulting with key stakeholders and the community. This is an on-going part of the review process.
- Releasing draft policies. Expected to take place mid to late 2014.
- Presenting draft policies to Council for adoption and submission to the Province for approval. This is expected to take place late 2014.
The Official Plan review is looking at a range of policy areas and matters, including:
- Natural heritage (e.g., woodlands and wetlands)
- Community design
- Commercial uses
- Agricultural uses
- Growth forecasts
Other issues may arise from the consultation process or during the course of staff’s review.
Where we are now: Growth forecasts
On December 11, Community and Strategic Planning presented the Draft Population, Household and Employment Forecast and Employment Lands Study at County Council, launching the consultation phase for this report.
Why should you be interested? How can you provide input?
Once endorsed by Council, the growth forecasts will provide the growth assumptions for the County and its eight area municipalities for the next 20 plus years. They will also inform a range of County projects and initiatives, including Official Plan amendments, development charges studies, servicing studies, etc. More information about growth forecasts
The County is hoping for a broad range of input and perspectives on the various components of its 5-Year Official Plan Review, including the growth forecasts. If you have any comments or insights that you would like to share, please send them to:
Manager, Strategic Policy Planning
UPDATE: Questions or comments regarding the draft forecasts were requested for before February 21, 2014.
Please check this page again for project updates, public meetings and other information related to the 5-Year Official Plan Review.
STAY UPDATED WITH E-ALERTS! Sign up now for automatic updates whenever new information about the Official Plan Review is posted to the County website. Sign up now
What is an Official Plan?
Ontario’s Ministry of Municipal Affairs & Housing describes an official plan as the set of policies on how land in your community should be used. It is prepared with input from you and others in your community and helps to ensure that future planning and development will meet the specific needs of your community. More on Official Plans (Government of Ontario)