Light your way:
- Poorly lit pathways cause shadows and can hide hazards
- Keep nightlights on in your home.
- Turn lights on before you enter a room.
- Make sure a light switch is easy to reach from your bed.
- Give you eyes a chance to adjust to a change in lighting.
Create a trip-free home:
- Keep pathways clear of furniture and cords.
- Keep a cordless phone handy.
- Get rid of area rugs, or make sure they are secure.
- Look out for pets.
Steady on the stairs:
- Keep stairs well-lit. Have light switches at the top & bottom.
- Install and use sturdy handrails on both sides of the staircase.
- Keep stairs free of clutter.
- Look at the stairs and use the handrails at all times.
- Use non-skid strips to show the edge of each steps.
- Install and use safety grab bars for your tub, shower & toilet.
- Have your toilet paper roll within easy reach
- Use non-slip mats inside and outside of bathtubs and shower stalls
- Keep a nightlight on in the bathroom.
- Fix and flatten out carpets.
- Assess your home for safety and fix any hazards you see.
- Make sure all handrails are well anchored.
This information was brought to you by Finding Balance, developed by the Alberta Center for Injury Control and Research and the Alberta Medical Association.